Discarded cigarette believed the culprit of brush fire

Discarded cigarette believed the culprit of brush fire

A discarded cigarette is believed to have caused a brush fire north of Oliver yesterday. (Facebook/Kathy Giguere)

Oliver Fire Department officials believe a discarded cigarette was the cause of a grass fire near Tim Hortons on Enterprise Way yesterday.

Media spokesman Rob Graham said they received a call about a brush fire after 6 p.m. on Wednesday.

“Smoke could be seen while responding and reported that it had spread to a tree,” he said.

Once on scene, fire crews knocked the fire down quickly and were able to keep it from spreading.

The area was a mix of some dry and green grass, therefore, the spread wasn’t too rapid, Graham said.

“Had it been dryer or warmer/windy out, it could have grown bigger quicker.”

The fire burned an area of approximately 50 feet by 100 feet, according to Graham.

The cause is believed to be a discarded cigarette, he pointed out.


For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

I agree to these terms.