Coyotes extend losing streak to seven games with two more weekend losses

Coyotes extend losing streak to seven games with two more weekend losses

Carter Shannon, on a breakaway, fires a shot past Fernie goalie Justin Faiella to score the first of two Coyote goals Saturday night. (Richard McGuire photo)

By Richard McGuire

Special to the Chronicle

The Osoyoos Coyotes extended their losing streak to seven games with two more losses on the weekend.

On Friday night in Fruitvale, they lost 4-2 to the Beaver Valley Nighthawks in a game that saw all four Beaver Valley goals scored in a space of eight minutes in the second period. Otherwise, the Coyotes held their own.

Back on home ice Saturday, they fared worse against the Fernie Ghostriders, losing 8-2 in a game that saw Fernie score three power play goals and one shorthanded goal.

The two loses leave the Coyotes in unfamiliar territory at the bottom of the Okanagan Division, with only two points from their single win, the opening game against Kamloops.

In the entire Kootenay International Junior Hockey League, only Kamloops and Chase are doing slightly worse than the Coyotes.

In Friday’s game, Brock Marple scored both goals for the Coyotes.

He opened the scoring just over a minute into the game, with Coyote goalie Daniel Paul getting the assist.

Dylan Defosse of Fernie slipped away on a breakaway while the Ghostriders were shorthanded to put the puck past Daniel Paul, early in the second period Saturday. (Richard McGuire photo)

Marple’s second goal, early in the third period, was assisted by Carter Shannon.

The Coyotes even outshot Beaver Valley in the third period, but they couldn’t manage to score any goals in the final minutes after pulling Paul for an extra attacker.

Osoyoos took an uncharacteristically low number of penalties – just three minors – while Beaver Valley took just one minor.

But then there were those eight minutes in the second period.

Simon Nemethy tied the game for Beaver Valley less than four minutes into the period. Three minutes later, Luke Recchi made it 2-1. Less than two minutes later, Jake Yuris made it 3-1, and finally, Jared Stocks scored unassisted three minutes later to leave the Coyotes trailing 4-1.

Despite a better third period for Osoyoos, the damage was already done.

In Saturday’s home game against Fernie, the Coyotes tried at first to stay in the game.

When Fernie opened the scoring almost five minutes in, Carter Shannon answered him a couple minutes later on a breakaway goal.

Fernie added two more goals, one on a power play, but then Ryan MacDonald scored for Osoyoos, also on a power play, set up by Marple.

But another Fernie power play goal in the final minute of the first period put the visitors ahead 4-2.

From then on, all the scoring was done by Fernie, who scored two goals each in the second and third periods.

Early in the second period, while Fernie was shorthanded, Dylan Defosse broke away to score his second goal on his way to a hat trick.

Late in the third period Defosse tried to do it again when Fernie was shorthanded, but that time Bailey Monteith, who had replaced Paul in net, managed to thwart him.

While the Coyotes were badly outshot in the first period (18-8), they managed to hold the puck a little longer in the second and third periods, only being outshot 14-10 and 11-10 respectively.

The Coyotes host the Summerland Steam on Friday before playing two road games. On Saturday they travel to Nelson and next Tuesday, Oct. 16, they go to Kelowna to face former Coyote coach Ken Law’s Kelowna Chiefs, who lead the league with 21 points in 11 games.

Late in the second period Saturday, Dylan Defosse of Fernie tried for a repeat of his earlier shorthanded goal, getting another breakway while the Ghostriders were shorthanded. Seth Kriese chased after him and goalie Bailey Monteith thwarted him. (Richard McGuire photo)