Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Community

Community

Buy fresh, stay local and make some friends

I am a huge supporter of shopping local, and keeping our immediate economy rich and thriving. When I buy produce in the local supermarkets, I...

BC Corrections to visit Oliver

Those wondering about job opportunities at the Okanagan Correctional Centre will likely have their chance to ask BC Corrections staff this fall. Assistant Deputy Minister...

Hazardous conditions

Deputy Fire Chief Bob Graham (left) talks with Capt. Bryon Somerville during a grass fire at Gallagher Lake Village Park on Monday. It was...

Letter to the Editor

School District 53 here to serve kids, families The story, “Board defends its partnership with PDCRS” is particularly nasty in its negative claims against the...

Rip-Off Artists conclude five-day challenge

The Oliver Rip off Artists celebrate the successful completion of their annual five-day challenge Saturday, July 13, at the Quail's Nest Gallery in Oliver....

Barbecue King

Derek Uhlemann from Covert Farms prepares chicken for one of his culinary creations at the 2013 Similkameen BBQ King event in Keremeos July 13. Richard...

District schools showing steady improvement

It may not be proceeding at a lightning-quick pace, but School District 53’s elementary and secondary schools have been showing noticeable improvements over the past...

And they’re off!

Dozens of local children chase their ducks all the way to the finish line during the Ambassadors Duck Races, held Friday, July 12 at...

It’s Magic!

Kelowna –based magician Leif David amazes a group of local children, including Jasmine Encina (left) during the kick-off of the Okanagan Regional Library’s Summer...

Revolution of the Ural: definte ‘bucket list’ stuff

A good friend of mine surprised me last year by riding by my office window on what looked like a motorcycle right out a...

Cooling off

Friends Laura and Jordan anxiously await the next water drop as they frolic in the Kinsmen spray park on Fairview Road. Lyonel Doherty Photo

Fun in the Sun

Every drum was utilized last Saturday during the Nankama West African Drum and Dance show (above) at the Oliver Sunshine Festival. Many families gathered...

Job action continues as FortisBC seeks hike

While FortisBC has applied for yet another rate increase (3.3 per cent for 2014), workers are still trying to secure a new collective agreement...

Police news

Thieves steal 20 ladders   On July 11 an Oliver orchardist reported that 20 aluminum ladders were stolen from his property at 5656 Yarrow Rd. This address...

The Fruit and Vine

SWEET CHERRIES to the community for its generous support of our 15th annual book sale. We earned over $2,400 for the children’s Summer Reading...