Friday, August 23, 2019

Community

Community

Saving the day

Oliver pool lifeguards donned their best for Super Hero Day recently. “Marvelling” at John Plesca’s muscles are, from left, Ben Nazaroff, Travis Thompson and...

Okanagan River Restoration Initiative Phase II

The Okanagan River Restoration Initiative (ORRI) Steering Committee announced that restoration work on ORRI Phase II will commence in early August. This work will further...

Survey is taking ‘Vital Signs’

Foundation seeking Oliver’s input on what issues need addressing. The Community Foundation of the South Okanagan has launched a survey to gather community input for its...

The Fruit & Vine

SWEET CHERRIES to the Sunshine Festival volunteers and hospital staff for taking such good care of me after a dog bit my leg recently. -...

Drumming up support

Local musicians, the Cha-Cha-Laca Love Machine got the crowd moving during their concert held at the Oliver Visitor Centre July 18. Their show was...

Teacher vies for council seat

(Maurizio Basso is running in the September 21 by-election in Oliver. Here are his responses to our questions.)  Q:  What prompted you to throw your...

Life’s a beach

Sun Fun kids (from left) Dustin Stahl, Maura Gaudet, Alexis Nice-Gauvin, Gavin Zandee and Tyler Antunes build a moat inside their castle during play...

Quilter to bring comfort to Alberta

For Michelle Morisset, quilting is more than just a creative outlet.  The Oliver resident is doing her part to bring comfort to the victims...

Town greets transients

The mayor of Oliver and the RCMP detachment commander played goodwill ambassadors in Lions Park last week. Ron Hovanes and Sgt. Ken Harrington handed out...

Keeping him busy

The Town is keeping student labourer Ryan Biro busy this summer cutting grass, weeding, and making the community presentable to locals and visitors alike. Lyonel...

Oliver offers many fun activities for your kids

Whether you have a toddler, a preschooler, or child who is now out of school for the summer, it’s time to get outside and...

Rhonda Bruce Mattes looks outside of the box

(Rhonda Bruce Mattes is running in the September 21 by-election in Oliver. She submitted the following article.)    Last summer I attended the Governor General’s Leadership...

Buy fresh, stay local and make some friends

I am a huge supporter of shopping local, and keeping our immediate economy rich and thriving. When I buy produce in the local supermarkets, I...

BC Corrections to visit Oliver

Those wondering about job opportunities at the Okanagan Correctional Centre will likely have their chance to ask BC Corrections staff this fall. Assistant Deputy Minister...

Hazardous conditions

Deputy Fire Chief Bob Graham (left) talks with Capt. Bryon Somerville during a grass fire at Gallagher Lake Village Park on Monday. It was...