Willowbrook farm house razed by fire

Willowbrook farm house razed by fire

0
SHARE

A couple managed to escape injury during a fire that caused major damage to a Willowbrook home last week.
Fortunately, members of the Willowbrook Fire Department were practicing on the evening of November 28 when the 9-1-1 call was made just after 8 pm.
Fire Chief Brad Fossett said 11 crew members arrived to flames at the two-storey home of Don Gabel at 5745 Green Lake Road. Gable was in Arizona at the time and another couple was looking after the place.
“We took an interior offensive attack, though it deteriorated quickly. At one point I had to pull crews back because of the heat,” Fossett said.
The chief noted the home’s construction (multi-level roofs and vaults) made it very difficult to properly ventilate the structure.
Members fought the blaze for several hours with the help of the Oliver Fire Department, which provided mutual aid.
The fire destroyed the upper floor and the roof structure, but the walls were still left standing.
Fossett said they determined the cause to be a faulty fireplace and chimney system. The RCMP and insurance officials continue to investigate.
The chief praised the professional efforts of both fire departments and the police. He also recognized BC Ambulance Service paramedics for keeping a close eye on the firefighters’ health.

LEAVE A REPLY