The start of the school year is an exciting time for children and we want to help make sure they get to and from school safely. Police would like you to follow the following tips in order to ensure children have the safest back to school.
– Now that school is back in session, don’t forget that every school day, unless otherwise posted, a 30-km/h speed limit is in effect in school zones from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
– If a vehicle is stopped in front of you or in the lane next to you, they may be yielding to a pedestrian, so be prepared to stop.
– Always yield to pedestrians – it’s the law.
– School buses will be back on our roads. Vehicles approaching from both directions must stop for school buses when their lights are flashing.
– Before getting into your vehicle, make a habit of walking around your vehicle to make sure no small children are behind it. Always look for pedestrians when you’re backing up.
For parents and students
– Remove your headphones and put away your phone or other electronic gadgets when crossing the street. Focus on the road so you can see, hear and respond safely.
– Make eye contact with drivers, so you both know you see each other.
– Dress to be seen. Wear bright or light colored clothing. In dark or bad weather, wear reflective material on clothes or accessories.
– Be aware of parked vehicles in a parking lot or on the road. A driver may not see you between parked vehicles and you may not see them moving. Before crossing or walking through a parking lot, stop and look left-right-left around parked vehicles. Children should avoid taking shortcuts through parking lots.
Car crashes are still the number one preventable cause of death for children and youth in B.C. aged 5 to 18. As people return to work and school from summer holidays, drivers should plan for more traffic, be extra cautious and watch for children, especially in or around school zones.
– Speed in school zone: $196 to $253
– Speed in playground zone: $196 to $253
– Fail to stop for school bus: $167
– Fail to yield to pedestrian: $167
– Disobey school guard/patrol: $167